Friday, August 15, 2008

THIS WAS A REAL NICE CLAMBAKE

TRES LECHES CAKE
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!


THIS WAS A REAL NICE CLAMBAKE
AND WE ALL HAD A REAL GOOD TIME ~ CAROUSEL 1945

Today was Mum's Birthday. 68 years young. The plans went as we had hoped.

MORNING
Selena woke me up early and I went and filed FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) paperwork with her doctor and her school. This will help her get approved time off at the beginning of the year. We are hoping that she will only take the first two weeks off, then work 1/2 days for the next two weeks and then start full-time after that. This will mean that next week she will do the best she can with in-service. We know for sure she is not going in on Monday because it is a convocation and that just puts her around way too many people when her white blood cell count is low and this would put her at risk for infection. The rest of the in service week (Aug 18-22) she will do what she can. I plan to go up to the school and prep her room so she does not have to worry about that at all. Being an ex-stage manager I like organizing stuff so it's right up my alley.

To recap the schedule: she will take off the first two weeks with students Aug 25-29, Sept 1-5 and then try to work 1/2 days Sept 8-12 and 15-19. Let's hope and pray that this schedule works out.

AFTERNOON
We went about 25 miles off the island to Clearlake/Webster (near NASA) to Panera, the bagel and sandwich shop, and bought some bagels and had a fantastic chicken panini and chili in a sourdough bread bowl. It was really nice to get Selena and her Mum out of the house for something that was not a doctor's appointment. We also went to PETSMART and bought some bedding, litter and hay for our two bunnies Coinin and Haas.

For those of you that know that we had three bunnies, you may be asking, what happened to one of your bunnies. Did you get a hankering for some rabbit stew? No, no, no.....

Our little girl bunny Toki died two years ago of an enormous trichobezour (hairball) that she got from grooming the two boy bunnies too much. Rabbits can't regurgitate hairballs so it shut her digestion down and she went into liver failure. We were very sad because she was the most adventurous bunny of them all. She like to wander all over the house and explore and would come into the TV room in the morning and watch TV with us. She liked Matt Lauer on the TODAY show. ;) The boys bunnies really miss her.

But I digress.......

EVENING
We came home about 3pm because Selena was wiped out. She barely made it back into the house she was so tired. She went straight to bed and I went out on another errand. I went off the island again to Texas City (famous for BP Blast of 2005 and the more infamous Texas City Disaster of 1947) . It's about 15 miles away. I went to SAM'S CLUB to buy two window unit air conditioners. We have central AC but it does not work well in the living room and computer room and Selena goes from extremely cold to extremely hot. My brother Patrick very graciously gave us the money to buy the two window units. THANK YOU PATRICK!!! WE LOVE YOU! I will install those tomorrow.

I came home via TARGET (medicine for Selena) and TEXAS STAR BAKERY (Tres Leches Cake for Mum's Birthday). I got home around 7pm and waited until Selena woke up around 9pm to celebrate Mum's birthday.

The cake was delicioso! We also got her a Chinese Music Relaxation CD in honor of the Beijing Olympics. She had a very nice little party and I was glad we could share it with her.

It's almost midnight as I write this and I can hear the mosquito trucks driving by spraying the neighborhood to keep the pesky West Nile spreading creatures at bay.

Just so everyone knows I am being safe when I STUNT BLOG for Selena, I wear all safety precautions required by the Stunt Bloggers Association.
This includes:
Helmet-in case I lean back too quickly in my office chair
Eye protection-in case I type so fast that the keyboard explodes
Wrist protection-carpel tunnel syndrome, of course
Socks-don't want my feet to get cold
Towel-well, you always need a good towel, don't you

Another pass of the mosquito trucks...... Ahhh nothing says summer in Galveston like killing mosquitoes....

Time to go to bed.

We'll write again....

TOMORROW, TOMORROW

Bet you thought I was thinking of the ANNIE song. I swear to you, I was actually thinking of the awful song TOMORROW from SCARLETT - THE GONE WITH THE WIND MUSICAL. Miss Scarlett sings TOMORROW, you know like in the movie, "I'll think about that tomorrow." You have not heard bad musical theatre until you have heard the Gospel song BONNIE GONE the 'colored folks' sing on the plantation when Scarlett and Rhett's daughter Bonnie dies jumping over the fence on her pony. Ahhhh.... bad musical theatre, nothing like it.

2 comments:

Joel David said...

You and Zaphod, two very cool froods.
Ok, now I feel awful. Poor Toki. She was my favorite too. How are the boys getting along? I know they tend to fight but that's partly due to rivalry over a female, yes?
Dude! You forgot your fall arrest harness.
Mine is five years old now and suffering a good deal of corrosion. I've LPS'd it up good but . . . Thankfully one of the Carps just got a new harness and gave me his old lanyard, as I had pear rings, with locking 'beaner latches, instead of fire hooks, making my climbing difficult and wearing. Yes, this isn't allowed but I'm not complaining as I was in need of the new hooks and he was not.
I wonder how long before I can retire my harness and get a new, comfortable one. Maciej's was only two years old and he got a replacement. Sigh.
Glad the B-day worked out so well. Tell "Mum" I said happy B-day.
Have had a nice few days off but back to work tomorrow. I think we're doing a rig day before the In, just like a real show!
Oh saw a Cirque-ish Urban Circus the other night, "Traces." Ever heard of it? Dance, Acrobatics, theater (sort of). Canadian Troupe. Very good, very fun. Also looked like a roadies' dream, one truck (small) heaviest piece was the baby grand, rig for the poles and web, house sound and lights, hot young performers . . . well you know.
Ok, need to stop writing these novels in the comments. Take care all.
XO J-

Joel David said...

Oh hey, Sel,
Meant to tell you. was biking through Sunset heights a few weeks back and thought I'd check out the old Upson place. The building has been razed and replaced with a couple two story condo buildings, very nice. Since I'm in the market I stopped to take a look. Four units total, top two units sold, cheapest unit was, if I recall correctly, 164,000 smackeroos! (Smackeroos is slang for U.S. dollars.)
Ah how the old neighborhood is changing.
XO J-
P.S. Do you remember the back room, or front room really, with the pigeons going hawumpa-wumpa in the windows?