Friday, August 8, 2008

Chemo scare - port style

Yesterday I went in for my 3rd chemo treatment. Showed up earlier than before so that they could get my "cocktail" ordered and sent over from the pharmacy. We waited around for a while and then got taken in to the chemo room (comfy chair land) and waited a while longer. When they went to tap my port they couldn't get blood - not a good sign! So, we moved my arm around into weird positions and stabbed me two more times and tried the arm waving again. The port was blocked. Both Mum and I panicked a bit envisioning having to do something drastic with the port. Renee (the nurse) had to send for clot busting drugs. She did warn me about the wait and the fact that they would have to thaw before usage. More waiting. I have probably ranted on enough about how I have no concentration, but, the book on tape, the regular book (both good ones!) and cable television couldn't keep me distracted enough. Finally we had thawed gunk and they shot me up. Then we had to wait some more. Got blood - and not just from where she had stabbed me three times and had wiggled it for good measure. We had semi -action. She hooked me up to some saline solution and we waited for it to flush the port's catheter. Then finally we were on the program. By the time we were released it was 2:30! We arrived at 11:05. It's supposed to take 2 hours max.



Good points: Mum went with me and we figured out how to keep the Popsicles frozen! It is a good idea to eat Popsicles during the "C" part of this chemo because it can cause mouth sores and burning - the cold keeps that from happening. Anyway, I dutifully ate and dripped and sucked on 3 Popsicles - I even got a rainbow of color drips on the blanket for them to remember me by. My guess here is that their laundry gets out much worse so I'm not such a terrible blanket ruining slob.

I'm in the middle of being summoned for all these trainings at my school. They did this last year, but I was out of town. MY SCHOOL YEAR is supposed to start on August 18!!! On the 31st we had an all day training, and I am supposed to attend one all day the 11th and 12th. Needless to say, I only made it through 2 1/2 hours of the one on the 31st and that was into the second week... These next two fall on what are going to be bad days. Mrs Hebert, My principal, is very understanding and is willing to work with me- bless her. Next work issue: I just don't see how I can teach the week immediately following my Chemo #4 (this is crummy time- I can manage 1-2 hour mini outings) So, I'm looking in to taking some time off (Family and Medical Leave Act) I know I can take a full week - that's my plan for the first week of school. Then it gets complicated because the law says I can take half days, but as a teacher, that is not so easy. I just need to have some time to build stamina. The good news: my reading kids did great last year so I will be receiving some grant money to help cover the time off.

Feeling pretty good today, and have an appointment for a Neulasta shot later. I've already gotten rid of the "red pee" - one of my chemo drugs causes you to urinate red for a while and you've got to push that stuff out so that it doesn't burn your bladder. Aren't you learning all sorts of useful, yucky things by reading this blog?

3 comments:

Joel David said...

Sometimes to occupy my mind I'll try to remember every lyric in a show I was in from top to bottom. I can still do the dreamcoat colors cold.
Joel

Cheryl Mae said...

Joel - you are ridiculous...but it's okay...I sing the Colored Coat show too (not the whole thang, just the coat thang)...once a show is over for me (Sel, you know what I'm like)...it's OVAH! Can't remember anything (or is that old age?). Sorry Assebola, but work got kinda crazy...had a lot of meetings...sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
You liked Hairspray? I couldn't get through it...John Revolting's face annoyed me...I thought it would annoy you too. "No wine" is like Divine.
Glad that Eduoard missed you too. We got small remnants of it over heah. But as I said, it's monsoon season in ELP.
WAY happy about smaller lumps...keep up the good work. I see light at the end, Sel. Hang in there, my friend!
By the by, my school year started on July 7 or 8...just thought I'd let ya know...it's getting earlier and earlier, but we get breaks every nine weeks, so that's nice. Tom and I have the same schedule, so that's even better! But I don't like "incervix" meetings...I need something else to occupy me.
I hear you re: taking time off...but you gotta listen to YOUR BODY. Glad about FMLA, and you gotta do 1/2 days..and get approval from your district, entity, or whatever...they're just looking out for you...you need to look out for YOU too.
Yeah - I'm peeing wit' ya! No really...I just did...
tomczuk@mindspring.com
xoxoxox
Cheryl Mae ;o)

Unknown said...

Just read the last 2 weeks worth of blogs. So glad to hear the lumps are shrinking ( and hey, if your losing weight that's always a good thing). Have to agree about Hairspray. Didn't care much for it. I liked the music. If you want a cute "no-brainer" , check out "Nim's Island" with Jodie Foster. It's a good message about overcoming fears. Emily and I enjoyed it.
I hope you are able to get back to work. My friend,who is a teacher said that some school districts allow teachers to donate their time off to other people. You should check in to that. That would be awesome if your district offered that option.
Thank goodness for the Wal-mart scooters. You and Dad would be quite a pair in Wal-mart.
Love ya, Lori