Thursday, August 28, 2008

Errand Boy


(ceiling fan noise)
Saigon . . .
I'm still only in Saigon.
Everytime I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.
When I was home after my first tour it was worse...
I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. When I was here I wanted
to be there. When I was there, all I could think of was getting
back into the jungle. 
(sounds of mosquitoes, motorcycles on the streets)
I'm here a week now, waiting for a mission. Getting softer. 
 Every minute I stay in this room I get softer. And every
 minute Charlie squats in the bush he gets stronger. Each
 time I looked around, the walls moved in a little tighter.
Sitar music starts to play softly at first and then louder as
 the madness grows. Gradually the music is recognizable as
 THE END by THE DOORS.

I go crazy, striking martial arts poses and break mirrors,
 break pictures and destroy vases with dead flowers. In my
 small dirty Saigon hotel room I think I am being attacked
 by the VC. I collapse.

Why was I back in Saigon?
 I wanted a mission. And for my sins they gave it to me.
 Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice
mission. And when it was over, I'd never want another.

                                                                                                       APOCALYPSE NOW 1979

This is what it feel like taking care of someone with cancer. It's like getting a mission, thinking you are ready and then realizing that nothing ever prepared you for it. You want to strike out against something. The cancer and the chemo that's making your wife so sick she spends all her time in bed. It eventually makes you want to spend all day in bed. Sapping every bit of energy from you. There is no striking out but the walls DO close in. Your hands DO get cut when you break the mirrors. The mission feels futile, long and you hope you can make it to Cambodia to confront Colonel Kurtz. Will I have the courage to kill him? I am being ferried up the river to Cambodia 2 click north of the Du Long bridge in the upper outer quadrant of the right breast 5 and 10 cm from nipple at 10 o'clock by a team of medical oncologists. They tell me the mission is routine. They've been to Cambodia before. They've even been to Laos. How can this be? There were treaties signed. But this is where the cancer waits. We're not even supposed to be in Cambodia, but this cancer, Colonel Kurtz is up there operating without any restraint. He must be terminated. My resolve remains strong. Even though my mind and body are weak.

I have sympathy-chemo fatigue and residual meninigitis headaches. I want to stay in bed all day with Selena too. Thank God for Mum being here because I am not much help right now. As a caregiver I would have to rate myself a zero except that I love Selena with all my heart and soul and try to do anything I can to help her feel more comfortable. This must count for something. My head drugs cloud my mind and I don't know what I am saying too much so I will close.

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. 
That's my dream, it's my nightmare. 
Crawling, slipping along the edge of a straight razor and surviving....

I make no apologies for this entry. I am hurting and sad. Selena is feeling very bad, she has been in bed for many, many days, feels terrible, can't eat, can't watch TV, can't read, listen to a book on tape, listen to me read to her. She is a zombie. I was able to get her out of the house for 1 hour today to get to eat about 3 bites of a gyro down town at THE MEDITERRANEAN CHEF RESTAURANT. She couldn't taste it and didn't enjoy it. We parked right in front so she only had to walk a few step and it got her out into the fresh air for a little bit. She slept the rest of the day. I am sad and high.

5 comments:

Joel David said...

Hey, my two dear friends.
I am prescribing some full spectrum light-bulbs for inside the house and a little chocolate to raise you seratonin levels.
And I wish so much I could be there now. You are two of the bravest, strongest most incredible people I know and I have every faith in you.
All my love,
Joel

Unknown said...

Chris, dear:

I am glad you are letting it out. I am sure you have a lot of times where you feel like this. But you are important. Your resolve and love and all your great intentions and actions are essential to get you both through this. And I know you can make it. I know Selena will make it. You must make it. What other choice is there?

I, too, think you need some silly movies, chocolate, and any other little joy you can think of now. But I am not being a Pollyanna at all. Its ok to get this out and to grief the process. Just know you cannot stay there. It sounds like Selena is making good progress as far as the big picture goes, so try to keep your mind and heart on that.

I love you both. Call if you ever need to talk, regardless of your mood. I am here for you.

Love,
Kara

Unknown said...

I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.
Hang in there Christopher,you are stronger than you think. Sorry things are crummy right now. Your devotion to Selena is powerful and you'll make it through. Her spirit is so incredibly strong.
Ilove you both very much,
Lori

James Gowan said...

Chris -- I am so sorry that you're having to live this. You and Selena are in my daily prayers and I know that God is watching over you both. I know that it's times like these when strength and resolve get pushed aside because it's so hard. But I will pray even more that God will provide you both with what you need. I love you both.

Jimmy

Mary Roy said...

Chris,

I was a caregiver for my Mom for 5 years. Everything you're experiencing is normal. Your analogy to Apocalypse Now is brilliant. Your devotion to Sel is brilliant. I wish I'd have met you before I left El Paso. Sel was my best friend in college.

We're praying for you both.
-mary

P.S. Watch lots of comedies. Marx Brothers. Woody Allen. Whatever.