Sunday, May 3, 2009

So I'm done...mostly

Had the last radiation treatment on Thursday. Now I'm a graduate. It was weird that I'm lying on the table, Kwame and Mary (the technicians) watch on camera from another room, and I start crying. I can't figure out exactly why, and I'm not embarrassed so I just go with it. I have only had 3 crying spells over this adventure and this was one... I figure I should , pun intended, flow with it. I am entitled, I know. So I snap a picture with Kwame and Mary and the machine, red eyes and all and leave. The cute little old Hispanic lady at the parking garage - I had chatted with her every day - was concerned and wouldn't raise the arm until she gave me some words of reassurance. It was cute 'cause she doesn't really speak English well, and I never let on that I speak Spanish, but I cried the whole time. Why exactly? Relief? Sadness? Loss? Self pity? Sense of achievement? Success? Frustration? Hormones? Stress? Stress relief? I could go on... Don't know.

On Friday I had a bit of good news: Brandon Dinklage, the teacher with whom I am sharing a room, and who didn't get RIFd, has accepted a job elsewhere. Now, I have not been officially un-RIFd, but the Director of Fine Arts told Brandon to tell me... Looks as though I have employment for next year! I'll have to press for "official" this week.

This coming week we have a big one. The Central/Weis theatre departments are doing Gary Grinkle's Battle with Wrinkles and other Troubles in Mudgeville at the GISD Fine Arts GALA on Friday. Our Cinco de Mayo celebration is on Tuesday and despite having put together a team and explained that I had no time to do this, I think tomorrow I'll be putting together a last minute show. I also have occupational therapy on the 6th and pulmanology tests and consult on the 7th... I am still sooooooooo tired all the time and crash as soon as I get home, so lets see how it goes. Here is my mindset: I'll do what I can do and try not to stress. There are other people who can pick up the slack this time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sitting here crying as I read this.Like you, Not sure why, So many of us have been right behind you in the back seats of this roller coaster of your's. We keep Praying and talking to God for you.Just know that We Love you and We keep sending good thoughts your way. Take care Love John and Re

Joel David said...

I'd say all of the above. I can hardly ever cry anymore. Sometimes it makes me sad. So when I can cry I really let it out. Glad you got the opportunity. I believe mind, body and soul all needed it.
XO J-)