Friday, February 20, 2009

Great News

I went to see Dr. Silva (breast surgeon) today and got some great news. During the operation they removed 15 lymph nodes- the one I had biopsied and 14 more in a clear margin. The only node that tested positive for cancer is the one we already knew about. There was no spread. The big lump had shrunk to 1/2 its original size and the smaller lump had shrunk to 1/3 its original size. They didn't say -and maybe they don't test this- how much of each was scar tissue vs living(cancerous) cells. She did say that they got a good margin. She removed my steri strips. Underneath the steri strips is mostly invisible suturing that will be absorbed by my body. The only stitches I will need to have removed are those holding the JP drains in. I am - well, Mum and Chris are - carefully measuring the fluid and it has not sufficiently reduced to remove the drains. Dr. Silva says they come out once they each produce less than 30 cc's in a 24 hour period, or February 26, whichever comes first.

Wednesday's trip to Dr. Weaver about my cough got me put back on an antibiotic. I have bronchitis, again. She also changed my allergy medicine and referred me to a pulmanologist. She doesn't think I have a fungal infection, but wants to get to the bottom of this neverending cough.

I ordered a stunt boob. I bought some stuff from TLC, the American Cancer Society web site/catalog. As an aside, I can't be the only one who feels this way but: Isn't it weird how exciting it is to open a package you received in the mail, even when you ordered it? Anyway, I got a couple of camisoles; one that opens down the front has removable JP drain pockets and comes with a couple of soft temporary prosthesis that you can adjust size by removing/adding batting and one that is designed to be extra soft for radiation treatments. Both have pockets for the prosthesis. I also got a medic alert bracelet and a hat. I have not taken the time yet to create the "official temporary stunt boob." I have the materials, I guess I'm waiting for the creative burst of sculptural inspiration to hit.

Chris and I had tickets to see Legally Blonde on Saturday, and although I am feeling pretty good, we both agreed that all that walking and driving wasn't a good idea. I gave the tickets to the secretary at my school. She was thrilled and I am thrilled knowing the tickets won't go to waste. This is looking to be a big weekend anyway. This will be my Mums last weekend here (until I need her again) and my brother, Steve is coming. I'm not sure, but I think we are expecting almost the entirety of the East Texas family.

Chris took his Psychiatry 'shelf exam' today and is feeling good about it. Over the next couple of weeks he has to study for his Pediatrics...

3 comments:

Mary Roy said...

Girl, you need to start drinking kombucha. Just the name is fun to say. KomBUcha! It's a fermented tea that is packed with probiotics and enzymes and loads of other healing properties and immune boosters. I think I once sent a link to a site about it in one of my comments here. I'm brewing it myself now to save money. Those babies can cost almost $5 a bottle. I can make a gallon for under $6 that lasts us a week. Anywho, I will mail you some as soon as I figure out how! Oh, and it tastes great. A little vinegary at first, but it is really good. Google it. BTW, so incredibly proud to know you. You've been amazing through your journey. Hug yourself for me. I can't wait to hear more about the stunt boob. Should shoot a small film about it and put it on youtube. G-rated of course. xxoo,
mary

Unknown said...

Oh, Selena - this is FANTASTIC NEWS!!! I am jumping for joy for you and Chris. My love and hugs go out to you both!! You won. :-D

-Kara

Joel David said...

Had to write. We get mail, usually, once a week from our central PO Box in Palmetto, FL. Sometimes it's slow. Sometimes it's fast. Sometimes it never comes at all. Anyway, I have a reputation for getting butt-loads of mail. I love getting mail and always make a big deal out of it. However, about ninety percent of my mail is stuff I purchase online. Believe me, I am thrilled every week to receive and open those packages.
Thanks, I thought I was totally geeky.
Love you. J-)