Monday, July 21, 2008

We have chair-ness


Today I went to my appointment with Dr. Elsaid. Turns out that his credentials are out of whack and he can't see any insurance cases right now. I was hoping to catch him up on what has happened since I saw him July 9. He finished his residency and is now going to be here for at least 5 years. Part of my criteria for selecting him as my physician was that last part - I seem to lose doctors as soon as I get one I like. Anyway, I saw someone else and she was great. Turns out I have thrush, due partly to the chemo and partly to the steroid I was still taking for my cough. I talked to her about my weird agitation and she suggested that I up my antidepressant. Yes, I'm on antidepressants and have been for about 13.5 years. My whole family seems to have serotonin problems so I'll be on them as a maintenance medication my entire life... Anyway, she said that increasing my meds would maybe handle the anxiety issue without putting me on something new, so I'm willing to try. She also gave me something new for my cough that won't make me drowsy.

After all of that, I came home and took a nap (naturally) and then we all -Chris, Mom, and I went chair shopping. We went to the La Z Boy Showcase and picked out a wonderful leather, you-can-sleep-in-it, reclining, swivelling, rocking cushy chair. My brother Steve, wonderful guy that he is, funded the endeavour so that I'll have a place to hang and read, snooze, watch TV while I'm not feeling well. Isn't he the best? The plan is that the "cancer recliner" will follow mom to the old folks home when we ship her off... I'm only partially joking! It was chosen with her furniture and decor in mind so that she will have custody after I'm well again. It will be delivered on Friday, just in time for the 2nd round of chemo.

We went to our favorite pizza place afterwards, got the car washed and gassed up (hurricane in the gulf - them's the rules)and picked up my prescriptions. I still have enough energy to be writing now! Feeling pretty good today. Hurricane is going to miss us, but we'll get some rain. Life is good.

No comments: