Monday, July 28, 2008

Restless Weekend....

It has been a restless weekend for Selena. The chemo drugs make her REALLY anxious and agitated. Her body is EXTREMELY tired but her mind is racing. You may remember a week or so ago we were talking about how she just can't get comfortable no matter what she does. It has gotten much worse. She goes back and forth between the bed and her new chair (which is FABULOUS) and the bathroom (for her coughing fits that seem to be worse this weekend).

On Saturday I called the resident doctor on call for Dr. Markowitz. To be honest, this guy didn't seem like the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I'm sure he is smart and all that, but he just seemed unable to grasp the concept of being agitated and anxious. Finally after explaining it to him about 3 times I put Selena on the phone. His dumb solution originally was to go see our family care doc on Monday about this because it couldn't be the chemo. I said "No, it is the chemo, she is not like this when she is not on Chemo." I also told him that I had given her some of my clonazepam (it is an anxiolytic med, anxyolytic means anti-anxiety) and that helped and he agreed to call in a few pills for the weekend. I am going to be calling Dr. Markowitz about this in a few hours because I think the yo-yo was being lazy and didn't want to call in anything to help her. I am sorry, but I am not going to sit by and let Selena suffer an entire weekend because this guy is a wussy.

The medication is helping Selena to relax some, but she is still having great difficulty and also feeling nauseous a lot too.

Michael, my brother, and Donna, my sister-in-law came down from Houston today, Sunday, and they met up with Michael's friend Mike Murphy. Murphy was Michael's best-man at his wedding. He was in town visiting from Indiana. They came over and Mum made wonderful hamburgers and salad. We then played this really great card game that Michael invented about the old-west. It was a lot of fun and I was really impressed with Michael's creativity. The cards he had made were gorgeous. I thought he had them made for him, but he had printed them himself. The game is kind of hard to explain, but it was very easy to play and lots of fun. I wish they lived closer so we could see them more often.

After they left, Selena curled up in the Chair of Comfort and we watched The Simpson's Movie. It was fun.

I am pretty excited about this week because it is SHARK WEEK on the Discovery Channel. I LOVE SHARK WEEK!!!!

It's pretty late and I am going to go to bed. I have been sitting up watching over Selena's restlessness and doing a little typing for Mum on the computer.

Thanks for reading...

1 comment:

Joel David said...

Going back, all the Canadians and English that I know say Mum.
Definite resemblance to Travis Bickle.
I sometimes take a homeopathic to calm my mind when it is racing and giving me insomnia. Unfortunately can't remember what it's called and my suitcase is a wreck due to my shifting from Summer to Winter gear, so can't find the tiny ampule I need to identify.
I am sure you can ask at any health food store or if there's a Whole Foods or some such near you, or even a Chinese grocery. Not sure how likely that is in Galveston. Worth a try though.
XO J-