Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Field trip!


I went out today!
No, not to an appointment but to a real live store! Mom and I went to Sam's and did the shopping thing. We were careful because there is not much room in the fridge, and I was warned by Chris not to breathe on or near anyone, but I GOT OUT OF THE HOUSE! I have absolutely no right, but it wore me out. An hour of shopping and then unloading the car and as soon as we got home I ate something and crashed for about 3 hours, but I am feeling much better. In fact I just got through buzzing off some more hair. See picture above. I'm now down to #4 clipper length. It is kind of nice to see the grey again...
Talked to a friend today who has gone through the Breast Cancer thing (shout out to Karen Hill - who is now the best kind of friend) and she said all kinds of encouraging things. One of which was NOT that 17 days after chemo starts is when you can expect the clumps of hair to come falling out. I haven't decided if I'm going to go all the way bald in anticipation or just stop here... I am a lot less vain about my hair than most people so I am not sure it will affect me that much. I've always kinda secretly wanted to be bald. Hey maybe I can rock a sort of Mohawk for a day or two. I may be too old (and fat- no comments please) for that now but when will I ever have a better excuse? And for those who ask, no, I never tried any of these weird things when I was younger and wilder - a boy cut and an asymmetrical cut were the extent of my rebellion in the hair area. Theatre kept me in check! Its hard to get cast when there is no wig budget and you have no hair. I must have a little more hair vanity than I like to admit. I did ask my mom to even up my clipper hacking as much as she could...

Health wise: I was given a shot of Neulasta on the day after chemo and one of the side effects is bone aches. I'm really feeling it. Chris pulled out all the stops and gave me a massage the other night that rivals any I've had elsewhere. Also, he's a "preferred care provider" (wink wink) so he's pretty cost effective. I've even resorted to taking a hot bath, (I say resorted, because my tub sucks) which doesn't seem to have done much. This medicine makes your bone marrow grow more blood cells so that you can endure chemo better. Everything I've read and been told, tells me that this period, the chemotherapy part of treatment, is the worst for feeling terrible. It hasn't been too awful so far. I can do this!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just read the the massive update.
I really like the much shorter hair. Sort of an Annie Lennox vibe.
Change your glasses to those thick,square, black plastic frames and you could totally pull off the "artsy-chic gallery owner " look.
I am still trying to work on the prototype for your "super binder". I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm praying for you and Chris daily.
love ya,Lori

Jerry and Mavis said...

Neat Picture !!

Rob Tode said...

Just to let you know that we have been following your progress, and you are in our thoughts :) AND I have to agree that the short hair looks pretty damn cool...AND HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! I know we barely knew each other back in 1994, but I still remember you guys running off to Vegas during the run of "City of Angels"...congratulations to both of you!
Love,
Rob, Laura & Sammy Tode