Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sorry sucha downer...

I've kinda been waiting for good news... Sorry- ain't gonna happen.
  • Chris has a hotel room, paid for by FEMA in El Campo, about 2 hours from Galveston and 5.5 hours from here (Mineola) Other than free Playboy channel it has little to recommend it. It's the closest he could find.
  • Yesterday, Chris was in an auto accident - he's fine, just a bruised leg and head. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital and checked out, his heart and asthma. The car may be totaled.
  • I'm starting to get tingling in my fingertips - a side effect of the chemo "peripheral neuropathy' that may set my treatment back. We'll see if the doctor let's me do chemo this week.
  • My school started back today an I'm not able to be there -no work no check.

Here's my mother's update: Oct 6 Well I thought it was time to share the latest with all of you. I have been home in Bradenton since Sept 15 and haven't been back to work yet. Still don't know if I have a job or not?? Selena and Chris are based out of Chris's parents home in Mineola and Selena has been receiving her chemo in Tyler, TX, about 45 min away. Chris has been given a FEMA motel room about 2 hours away from Galveston instead of the 6 hours to Mineola. The rabbits remain in Mineola. Based out of there he has been working to make the house livable. FEMA has agreed to pay for a generator due to Chris's severe asthma so he can connect up fans+++ and try to dry out the house. He has been able to determine that the water in the office/computer room at the back of the house was from below (it really looks as if the water was right up there at the floor level and the few wet areas are from wave action and less than watertight construction.) In that room the Sheetrock does not appear to have wicked up. The next door ranchstyle house was totally submerged and those folks lost everything.Salvation Army drove thru and fed folks dinner yesterday. Chris said it was good to have hot cooked food. The Mosquito Cafe just catycorner on the corner was also totally submerged and destroyed but plan to reopen again. Selena will fly over here to stay with me on Sat Oct 11 and plans are forming for her to continue her chemo here. She started to have neuropathy (nerve tingling in her extremities - hands) yesterday so... who knows if and or when. That is evidently a side effect of her chemo, along with the flu like symptoms she gets for three-five days each week. That's the news as I know it today. Hope you all are well.

Sorry for the negative tone, but things pretty much suck right now. Please keep sending prayers, good karma - whatever ya got!

3 comments:

Mary Roy said...

So sorry about Chris and all you're going through. I can't imagine being displaced in the middle of chemo. You will get to the other side of the mountain Selena. Keep your eye on the prize. I love you and I have missed you in my life too.

Thinking about you.
Praying always.

xo,
m

Unknown said...

Hi Selena,
Don't worry about sounding negative - we all understand. I am so sorry to hear about Chris - I hope he is ok. I was in a car accident last year (totally their fault) and got shafted by the insurance company and all the red tape. I hope you guys fare better. Keep pushing on. You will make it through this, and the rest of life will feel so easy by comparison. You guys are strong. I love you both!
Kara

Cheryl Mae said...

Hey Sel,

Praying for you guys every day...gee...when it rains, it definitely pours, doesn't it - appropos. Keep on keepin' on - you gotta know that you are loved in ELP, especially by me! Stay strong...
xoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Cheryl Mae