Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bradenton Bulletin

Mum Notes: Well Selena arrived safe and sound on Saturday. She was able to bring me most of my "stuff" left behind in Galveston. I was glad to see my checque book and other bits.
Selena was tired and achey on Sunday. Monday same but she was able to sit up and watch TV and visit with me. Tuesday we had an appointment with yet another new oncologist. Br. Brian Berry. He was found by Dr. Basile in Tyler, Texas and also recommended here by my dermatologist and a cancer nurse I know. We both liked him. He was kind and thorough. He spoke with Dr. Basile and they were worried about Selena's ongoing peripheral neuropathy and decided to hold/stop chemo and offered the following choices:
A His recommendation - Stop the paclitaxel and have surgery now. Then complete the last 6 chemo treatments.
B Second choice - Stop the chemo and wait a week or two and then start another type that would be less toxic to the neuropathy BUT much more toxic to blood cells and general malaise/aches.
C Least recommended - Stop the paclitaxel and wait a few weeks and then resume carefully monitoring for neuropathy.
Selena is pondering but favors C. She wants to consult with Dr. Markoweiz so we are going to see where he landed after IKE and see if we can get dr's M & B & B to all confer and put the pieces together. Each seems to have part of the puzzle.
Meantime Chris is still in Mineola and today has become "officially middle aged" as he had the big 40. We had apple tarts in his honour here without him. sic
We are planning a small birthday party and a "meet Selena" at my condo on Saturday. Sandy Luse, my dear friend and fellow nurse will be 61 but we won't tell her. She thinks she is 39 and I must admit she is holding pretty well, considering she's Irish. I did order a turtle cheesecake for the event. Have asked several of the nurses to come.
Today I made a Sam's run for essentials and Selena did a stint on the computer. Now she is listening to the McCain-Obamma debate. I figure I will be hearing about it for several days as TV and radio digest and interpret it so...
Another issue is Selena's temporary crown which fell off. My dentist is going to see her tomorrow and see what it needs. We have no idea where the previous crown is as it was ready at the dental office in Galveston, on Broadway, AND was paid for..... so we have a 7 am apt. I am sure you can imagine we are both excited about an apt at that time but she was squeezing her in so we have to be grateful, I guess. I'm working on it.
Guess that's all the Mum news but I did want to tell Joel hello and how much I enjoy his comments, so Joel consider yourself told.

3 comments:

Mary Roy said...

Is there an address where we can mail things to Selena?

Joel David said...

Yes ma'am, I feel told indeed.
Tried to call both Sel and Chris yesterday to wish Mr. Christopher a happy b-day. Must have out of date numbers. Sigh. Will write today and make up for it.
Have jury duty of all things today. LOL.

Mary Roy said...

Joel,

I can practically hear your voice in your comments. Ahhhh. So nice.

Selena,

I am in the midst of getting involved at our Cancer Center to teach Writing for Wellness to the patients. It's in the very beginning stages and I haven't done it yet but I am intensely curious, nervous and excited. Though I've not had cancer, the experience with my Mom definitely qualifies me to teach this. I also signed up for the Walk for Hope in your name. I ain't braggin' but I wanted you to know the great stuff being manifested because of and for you. You have made a mark on people. Everyone should be told that, don't ya think? May it bring delight and healing to your body and soul.

-m