Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday

Woke up early this morning. Funny how used to getting up at 5:30 you can become. I made coffee and biscuits, petted some bunnies, watched some news, and played around on Facebook. It is probably for the best that I didn't start messing around on Facebook until recently, except that it would have kept me more in contact while I was in Florida for my Chemo... I love how I can quickly check in with people I haven't seen for years, but still think of fondly.

Today I'm feeling pretty good! Had to take off the binding (yes, I'm still binding my chest) last night because it hurt. I think it slides around when I sleep... I have yet to put it back on. I'm doing exercises that my Occupational Therapist gave me AND she recommends that I massage my surgical site. So I'll leave it off for a while and do some of that. Story is: if you don't massage the radiation/surgical site, it can harden. Since the radiation already weakens the bones (ribs) if your scar gets hard, it increases risk of broken ribs from a slight bump! This is my new " cancer fact of the week." Funny how every step brings something new...

I ordered a new "stunt boob." It is weighted so it doesn't ride up to my neck like the old one, which likes to "crawl around." However, it is a little too firm for the sports bra that I am able to wear right now. When I put it on it made me look like I lost the other boob... the real thing is just squishier... I have to look into the return policy. I do have a prescription to get professionally fitted for a prosthetic, but it was suggested that I wait until 6 weeks after radiation so that any swelling will have resolved. I still haven't decided whether to continue life in my "amazonian lopsidedness" or go for reconstruction. I guess it depends on how life with a prosthetic goes. I was always jealous of flat-chested women... ironic?

I have a summer 'gig' doing a summer theatre camp for the school district. I'm really excited about this for a couple of reasons: 1. cash 2. it's about putting a show together with kids about IKE. I'll have about 8 weeks with a group of 5th and 6th graders. I anticipate this being a really fun, cathartic, creative project! Now that the "I've Been IKEd" project is lined up, I have to find a job for next school year...

I've also made the decision to attend the Houston Co-op Auditions this year. I weaseled/chickened out for the last few years. I'm going to make myself do it this year. I have to remember that the audition is not a commitment!!! I wonder if I can get away with using my old head shots... Recently, a director I respect disagreed with me when I said that I didn't think I looked like my headshots anymore. This was before the cancer though, so maybe I'll slap on a wig and some makup and just go with the old shots.

1 comment:

Joel David said...

Jealous! I really miss working with kids.
Am back in El Paso and went with Stella to a party last night. Good to see some old friends.
Hope you are feeling better and that the boob project goes well.
Am seeing a Dr. tomorrow to have some aches and bumps examined. Remember your revelation about injuries suffered unawares and hope I am not having any of that.
So take care. Will write soon. So nice having internet steadily.
XO J-)
P.S. Stella says she's been enjoying the Facebook theater pics.