Thursday, January 8, 2009

Progress Report

I had an appointment with the surgeons on Tuesday. There was a mix-up at Dr. Arristea's office so a resident had to do the pre-op stuff on me. We finally figured everything out - it was really messed up with the scheduling. I saw Dr. M Silva (vascular) and Dr. C. Silva (breast surgeon). I also had an ultrasound to check out the status of my blood clots. I am healing well from those and can go off the Coumadin (blood thinner). The bad news of the day was that I will have to have a modified radical mastectomy instead of a lumpectomy because although the tumors are now very small they are too far apart. As you can guess, I'm unhappy about that.

I seem to be developing a cough, I hope that doesn't cause the surgery to be put off.

The hospital is now open and I am scheduled for Monday afternoon. The doctors say the entire operation should take about 5 hours.

It sounds weird to say, but this past weekend it hit me. I really hadn't thought about the surgery much, just been plowing forward. It is hard to wrap my mind around the fact that they are cutting off my right breast on Monday. I'm trying to think of it in the same way as when I had my gallbladder removed, but somehow it isn't possible to do so. Should I take some photos to preserve the memory?

1 comment:

Mary Roy said...

Yes, take photos. I would absolutely take photos. And Sel, you'll probably have to grieve the loss. Perfectly normal and healthy to do. Just don't want you to be surprised. Let yourself grieve. It's a loss. My prayers are for you and God is right there with you. I am so sorry you have to go through it. I wish I could hold your hand in person, but please consider it held. All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.