Friday, September 26, 2008

We're safe

Sorry it's been so long without an update.
We are safe, warm(cool) have food to eat, a place to sleep and are staying with people who love us. Chris and the bunnies and I have been here in Mineola for 11 days.

Today I went for my second chemo treatment while I've been here. Tyler is the closest place and Dr. Basile took me over. She is really great and so is the facility they have there. I've been really tired with the chemo and the stress of being homeless... I actually am tolerating the chemo pretty well. This last time I had a couple of days of "good" and felt good for the wedding of Matthew and Savannah on September 20. Yes, I danced at the reception. It was really nice and we had planned to come, just not under these circumstances. You should have seen me scooting around ( yes, I use a wheely cart) at Target looking for something to wear... I left Galveston with 2 changes of clothes and some pajamas - needless to say no wedding wear. Don't worry, I am no longer clothes-less I got a cute shirt and some socks from the Red Cross and Patti sent me some clothes fron El Paso. Thanks Patti!

Tomorrow, Chris is going back to Galveston to see what shape the house is in. Neither of us thinks it is gone... The question is how much of the stuff in it and the interior is ruined. Today Chris spent the day amassing all the stuff they recommend you bring with you, work boots, first aid, bug spray... He's in knots - understandable. Paul, my brother in law, bless him, is taking him back to Galveston and then to Michael's in Houston to pick up our car. Micheal and Donna have finally freed the cars from the blocked/jammed garage. I don't think they have power yet.

My school district and job are of concern. The district has said they are paying us at least to the end of the year, but they also have said that we may or may not start school on October 9. I am concerned about my treatments and naturally where we are to live if/when we go back. My mom is worried that with my compromised immunity that I shouldn't go back too soon. There are also rumors that my school will be closed and others open... All the housing projects on the island have been destroyed so we may not have any students. So much we don't know.

We do qualify for an hotel through FEMA but we're staying put. We should know a bit more after tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mary Roy said...

Selena Selena...
Wonderful to hear your "voice." Can't imagine your mountain right now. I'm with you and wish I could be there in the flesh. I've always known you to be incredibly formidable. You are constantly on my mind and heart. Check your e-mails please. There are messages there. Also, I need your mailing address...
love you
xo,
m