Friday, September 12, 2008

"HUNKER DOWN"

That was the advice from the mayor of Houston. Thanks.

I evacuated Galveston at 1PM on Friday. When I got up at 7AM to finish prepping the house for the hurricane the water was already topping the Seawall and the Strand (our quaint little downtown) was flooding. There was also a lot of water coming out of the storm drains and flooding our street. That was 18+ hours before landfall!

Selena and Mum were doing fine in Houston with my brother Michael. It took me a little over two hours to get to Michael's house because I had to stop and change a tire along the way. I got a nail in the tire at some point either Thursday or very early Friday morning when I drove the car on my sidewalk and lawn to load the car because of the flooding in the street. The tire was still holding air well, but of course needed to be changed. There was NO traffic all the way to my brother house. No repeat of the awful evacuation of Rita in 2005.

Selena has been feeling OK. She is tolerating the new chemo fairly well. She is still very tired and fatigued. She slept most of the day.

Qua'nisha will have an update tomorrow.

2 comments:

Joel David said...

Well,
It definitely sounds like he knows his stuff. Hunker down indeed citizens.
Question, how might IKE impact future treatments? I mean are there going to potentially be cancellations, delays, etc.? If so can that affect overall treatment?
And do hunker down as it's probably an order, or something.
XO J-

Cheryl Mae said...

Hey...

Glad you are safe. Judging by pics in newspaper, Ike didn't waste any time. Think about you every day.

Quanisha...very sterotypical...

xoxox
Cheryl Mae