Monday, August 2, 2010

It is August already?!

Today I was in yet another training for the upcoming school year. This is a 4 day thing and should be fairly interesting. It has to do with the new 9th grade Pre-Advanced Placement class I'll be teaching.

Hope you like the new layout. New name. Maybe I'll change the name monthly?

Just booked a ticket to go to El Paso on August 11 for a few days. A crown that I got the last time I saw Patrick, my brother-in-law the dentist, seems to be "faulty." I am heartened by the fact that I'll get to see family (Patrick and Lauren and clan) and friends, particularly Danny and Lisa. It is almost enough to make me look forward to the trip! I am so fortunate that Patrick will squeeze me in to his schedule. I also have a whole week without any trainings so I'm available to go.

Had an appointment with Dr. Silva, my surgeon, last week and she feels I'm doing well. I am on her schedule for December to check in again, but there are no new concerns. Interesting thing happened at that appointment: I was speaking with the Resident and he asked me all sorts of history questions. I had a hard time placing the events of my cancer treatment in order. I find it curious that, the human mind - at least mine- copes with stressful stuff like cancer by "forgetting." Then, he asked me to estimate, from before treatment to now, where I "was." He meant, am I now at 80%, whatever... I was feeling pretty good that day and said 85%. When I told Chris about the conversation later he estimated 50%! Perhaps he's right. MENTALLY I'm at 85+, but physically more like 50. Still get tired very quickly.

I tried to make an appointment with Vickie, the lymphedema therapist, and she has the temerity to be on vacation! Yes, more evidence that the world doesn't revolve around me. I suppose I'll connect with her later.

Our house is starting to come together. Chris has been doing a lot of work. Today, while I was at work, folks came and cleaned the ducts and put new grills (registers?) in the house. Chris has finished my bathroom - new shower curtain with a curved rod! We also picked up Haas yesterday. I missed him. We were worried he may have forgotten us (or maybe he was just pissed?) but he seems happy enough today.

Mum is steadily unpacking at her place. Oh! By the way, she celebrates her 70th birthday on the 15th! Donna and Michael(Chris' brother and his wife - they took care of Haas) are going to come down and we'll go out to eat. i've also invited my friend Jessie. Mum loves a good steak.

More soon. I mean it this time! I might even be able to update with my NEW iPhone!!!

1 comment:

Joel David said...

Gaaaaar! Wrote a very funny post about Chris being a gormless git, sorry I wouldn't be in EP to see you and having to buy diaper rash ointment at the drugstore today, (MUCH to the amusement of the Japanese clerks. I don't even want to describe the conversation/pantomime I had to go through.)
Due to the extreme heat and humidity currently in Japan (worse than Florida) I, ME, Joel, the desert boy, have a bit of heat rash. I think I might have actually weathered it okay except my supervisor and his wife (I like them both very much) were sulky no one was joining them straight to ramen after the out. They didn't understand we wanted to shower first? Anyway, I capitulated and sat in my own juices for another hour, chafing like a new born.
Then after I had written it all out in my own witty style it failed to post. GAAAARRR!
Oh well.
The gist; Like the new name. The layout is pretty if a little funky to read. Had an embarrassing day at the drugstore and actually had to buy diaper rash ointment. Chris is a gormless git (JK I love him) Japanese clerks extremely amused at my discomfiture.
Sounds like things are continuing well for y'all.
Don't know when I'll be online again after today so love and happy birthday to Mum. May you all settle in well.
Miss you.
J-)