Monday, August 10, 2009

Greetings from Florida!

I'm in Florida with Mum. She had carpal tunnel surgery on her right arm today and came through it fine. She's in bed with a pile of pillows to keep her arm up and still drowsy from the sedation. The clinic where she had this done has a battalion of nurses and they do A LOT of these surgeries, so I'm confident it will come out fine. She doesn't have her followup to remove the stitches until 10 days from now. I'll be here to help her through the first few days; I hope that it's enough to get her situated. Since she's right handed, she has a lot of trouble not using her right hand.

The flight out was REALLY CROWDED. The airport lines were unbelievable. I waited in line over 45 minutes to check a bag, and then the security line was about 20 minutes. I reached the gate just as they were paging me. Then, we sat on the runway for about 40 minutes while they fixed some mechanical problem... The fun of air travel: rush and wait, rush and wait... I was a good girl and did arm exercises on the plane to make sure I didn't get lymphatic swelling - since I had lymph nodes removed during my mastectomy I will be at risk for developing lymphedema in my arm for the rest of my life. Air travel can activate it. I already have a little lymphedema in my chest, which is what I have been seeing the therapist for. Unfortunately one cannot massage one's chest in the middle seat of an airplane, at least not easily or discretely. When I landed it was hurting a bit so I took a pain pill. I am running out, even though I don't take them very often. I have misplaced a prescription that Dr. Silva wrote for me, which is LAME, because doctors are so stingy with Hydrocodone. I am not in danger of getting addicted, but how do I explain a need for a new prescription?

I intend to go to the pool later today and enjoy a little swimming. I haven't decided if I will baptize my new prosthetic or leave it at home. I don't have a pocketed swimsuit, so maybe it wouldn't stay in place anyway. I'll have to experiment. Doesn't a hot tub and cool pool sound great?!

1 comment:

Joel David said...

Hey, I'm in Florida. In fact I will be for a month or so, with work. Where are you? I am in Palmetto, sort of.