Friday, June 5, 2009

Last day

Today was the last day of my teaching contract for this year. We had a nice luncheon that was very tearful - My principal is retiring (not really voluntary) My Assistant Principal has been reassigned and plenty of folks are not coming back. I am still in limbo. It's actually very odd, to have so much turmoil with the hurricane and lay-offs. When I first started at Central I was the only new teacher that year! Central teachers are really loyal, some having been there for 45 years! Since it is a school that serves/served the projects and mostly African American and Hispanic students, many of our teachers are there to give back... They grew up in the projects and went to Central. Anyway, it is sad that we still don't have our school back and that so many of the teachers and staff have been uprooted.

On my job: Brandon still hasn't resigned because he still hasn't signed the KIPP contract and well, you can't blame him. It just makes for some major uncertainty for me. I can't be "hired back" until his job is vacated. Everyone concerned is sure I'll be there next year, but I have no contract, yet. I left all my stuff in the office because I'm doing a summer camp there in July, and I figure I can move it later if there's a need. Boy, do I hope not!!!

Today went to see Dr. Silva to have my seroma drain removed and follow up on my mammogram. The mammogram is clear! She wants to keep the drain in until next Wednesday if possible, since it still works. Supposedly there is some issue with these drains clogging and kinking, most last only 2 days! I have been VERY CAREFUL with mine and it is still working after a week.

No comments: