Saturday, May 1, 2010

A week of passings

This past week two passings: Sandra Raftis, a beautiful, talented actor/director and elegant gracious woman left us. She had lung cancer and leaves the Galveston theatre community with a big hole. I had the honor of working with her and she was a giving actor and excellent director. Her spirit was so alive, so creative, intelligent, calming, kind... I wish I had the words to describe her. I suppose it is a testimony to her that she was so hard to describe. I wish I had known she was ill...
Sunil Rajan, a good friend of Chris' died today. He had been dealing with tumors in his head for quite a long time, and they finally got him. He was a really talented sound designer and all around good guy. Chris and he became quite close when they toured with "Carousel." I am so glad that Chris was able to see him one last time when he was in NYC...

My doctor's appointment on Friday went well, and Dr. Markowitz was glad to see that I've lost 15 pounds. He asked me if it was on "purpose?" DUH, like I just lost weight accidentally???!! My hair is thinning due to the Arimidex, but it is not all that noticeable to anyone but me, so we won't do anything about it just yet. The Arimidex is supposed to keep me cancer free and it seems to be doing that, so I'll deal with the thin hair. Since my hair is curlier than before the chemo, it really doesn't show, but I am so used to having a LOT of hair that it is weird. Other than some tenderness over my mastectomy site, I am good to go for another 3 months. Yay, me!

Chris comes home tonight after going to LA to take his Clinical Science exam. He feels pretty good about it and is really grateful for the prayers on his behalf. He was also able to spend some time getting to know the nieces, Sage and Jade. They are now very different from the babies he knew before. He hadn't been able to go with me the last couple of times I went to LA, and was missing out on seeing these two beautiful girls grow up. They are amazing. My sister, Becka and her husband James, are doing an excellent job raising them.

Only 23 days of school left this year! Wow.

1 comment:

Joel David said...

Hey, nothing really, just like to post ya know. I'm sorry to hear about your friends.
Hope the school year finishes well.
Take care,
J-)