Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weekend recap

This was a fairly normal weekend, except that it had a feeling of "THE LAST NORMAL WEEKEND". Tomorrow, Monday, I am supposed to get the port installed and things are going to start rolling from there. We did a lot of lounging this weekend. We went to a Star Party at Moody Gardens, where a lot of people had telescopes set up - we saw Saturn and a number of stars. We went out to eat a couple of times, seems Mom's missed good Mexican food and can't really get it at home in Bradenton. Mom's also been doing some cooking - nobody's going hungry here! We did a Sam's and Target field trip, got the car serviced, the bunnies' houses got cleaned, they got a mani/pedi and a brushing and we all took a few naps. Chris set up the new cable receiver; we now get more stations than I can keep straight. Watched Norbit on HBO - bad movie, but we just got HBO! I am still trying to get over the cough/chest thing that seems to want to stick with me. Yes, I'm taking my "buried treasure" and antibiotics and mucinex AND was given a great big dose of antibiotics last Wednesday but that doesn't seem to have kicked it out. Maybe the mega dose of antibiotics I'll get tomorrow will help. I'm concerned that Dr. Markowitz won't want to start chemo until I'm healthy... and when will that be? I have an appointment with Markowitz on Wednesday to plan the treatment. The "Tumor Board" where the doctors get together and discuss cases (mine is on the short list) is tomorrow and Chris has permission to sit in. Mom will go with me to Port Placement: part 3 -the real deal?

3 comments:

Danny in WeHo said...

Selena!
I just heard about your diagnosis and I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this, but if I may apply the standard cliches... I know you are strong and fabulously sharp and can endure this tour.
...if you find you're going to be watching TV alot, may I say one word to you? NETFLIX. You queue up the movies and they send them to you one right after the other, up to six at a time. Some movies you can watch instantly on line. NO MORE NORBITS! Aren't you going through enough already???? Pop on over to Netflix.com and start queuing away!

If you're going to get in to a soap and need help.... I got AS THE WORLD TURNS covered and can help you out with DAYS OF OUR LIVES...kinda. Interesting thing on AS THE WORLD TURNS, aside from the gay story... is the actress playing BARBARA RYAN actually has oral cancer and they have written it in the story and she's been dealing with it for some time. It's strange, because not that long ago, they gave Lucinda breast cancer and after some really good, moving moments- that story was wrapped up in weeks quite abruptly. It's interesting now how we see Barbara going for treatments and issues of her care and support play into other story lines.

I'll be reading your blog- which is quite well written, I will add, and you will be in my thoughts and the closest thing I have to prayer.

I love you Selena!
Danny

Marie said...

Dear Selena and Chris,

As you can see, the 80's UTEP Greenroom Grapevine is alive and well. I'm so sorry to hear about this challenge you're facing. While the reasons for this blog are lamentable, it's incredibly worthwhile and brave to document your journey through it. I'll be tuning in to root for your progress (and see what, if any, Netflix and soaps you pick), with perfect faith that the outcome will be a blessed one.

Lots of (gentle) hugs,

The actress formerly known as
TJ Rose

Paul said...

I wanted to share this with you.

The HTML to make a handy-dandy clickable link isn't enabled for posting comments here. So, I'll go the old-school, less-convenient route of providing the URL to cut and paste.

In the lower right sidebar of the site is a link to the podcast, too.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/mycancer/