Monday, June 23, 2008

Bone Scan Fun

Today was bone scan fun! I went in this morning and got shot up with some radioactive goo and then got to go back home and eat. I was ecstatic about this since I hadn't eaten or drunk anything since midnight last night. Lori and Emily (sister in law and niece) were also still at the house having come to visit and help get the house ready for the arrival of mum (Donna) and I wanted a chance to visit a little longer. So, I took my radioactive self home for some biscuits and coffee and chit chat. Lori and Emily are so kind and loving - I can't tell you what it means to me to have this kind of support. I'm getting a little verclempt here... (translation: teary) Anyway, I got back to the Radiology department, with which I have become intimate recently, and retraced my steps to the "nuclear medicine" lab. I only got turned around once. If you've ever been there you will be seriously impressed!! I obediently emptied my bladder in the appropriate facility and began what I was told would be a 45 minute picture taking session. They masking taped my feet together! At one point, I guess I couldn't be trusted to keep my arms on the table, so they taped my arms to my sides like a burrito. Anyway, after the test was finished I was told that they would run the test by the doctor, and "would I like to sit up?" I decided I was comfy enough. A couple minutes later I heard them talking in concerned voices, a woman I hadn't met came and asked me questions about my cancer. It was obvious they were seeing something they didn't like! Isn't there something more emphatic than an exclamation mark?!!! It was in my chest area. They took two more chest pictures from a more diagonal POV. I won't keep you in suspense. I was pretty freaked out until tonight when we verified (doublequadruplechecked!!) that there was a weird area that didn't radioactivley dye right where I had once broken a rib (yeah - didn't know about that either) BUT there is NO SIGN OF CANCER in my bones. Now we just have to deal with the pesky breast cancer...

No comments: