Monday, June 23, 2008

A little history

June has been a whirlwind month. Breast-wise and test-wise here's the reader's digest version.
May 30: Went to Dr. I had found a large lump and was concerned. 1. It is a lump. 2. It hurt.
June 2: Mammogram and Ultrasound (of lump I had found) They found another lump and a large lymph node.
June 5: Biopsy of both lumps and a fine needle aspiration of a lymph node. Yes, it hurt! Yes, I was black blue and purple and still can't wear a regular bra... Chris went with me and was with me the whole time. I really could have done without the drug reps who were in the room the whole time coaching Dr. Leonard on how to use a new "gun".
June 9: Well-woman exam (guess what? I'm not well.) Dr. Elsaid told me the results show cancer in the lymph node. I cried, which was weird because I expected it to be cancer. I guess just hearing it out loud... Dr. Elsaid put in the orders for some of the tests I would need. I went and got my blood drawn - yes, I cried the whole time. Pitiful. I went and got Chris who was doing his pediatric rotation in the same building. He was dismissed for the rest of the day so we sat in the lobby and cried for a while and then we went for a drive.
June 11: Finally got the diagnosis Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Upset. Oddly a little relieved to finally hear the words after waiting so many days. Went for a massage but was not able to really concentrate/enjoy. Brain racing with what ifs. Not only that, I had a cold AND I was supposed to go to Austin for a theatre conference over the weekend. Oh yeah, and I have breast cancer.
June 12: Dr. Leonard had pulled some strings. He is the radiologist who did my biopsy. He also taught Chris and he had gotten me in to see Dr. Silva the surgeon Friday at 11:00! So, I'm not going to Austin - but I'm still really snotty!! I called Dr. Duncan, the Director of Fine Arts for Galveston Independent School District and told him what's up. He was very understanding, but somehow he thinks I'm quitting my job! It was nice having him try to persuade me to stay...
June 13: Dr.Silva is really nice. She tells me lots of things I don't want to hear including that I will need a mastectomy, since I have 2 lumps. Chris went with me and took notes and asked lots of good questions. Because Chris is part of this medical community I know I am getting treated especially well, and I am thankful for it. Dr. Silva made a few calls on my behalf and I have appointments set up for all sorts of stuff!

No comments: