Thursday, October 21, 2010

Checking in

Busy. busy. This week marks the end of the 1st 9 weeks and all my students have projects due. Of course, I can't be like every other teacher and just assign one thing and make them do it. I have to give them multiple choices! So I'm teaching 4 different novels and have... so many balls in the air I don't know which way is up.

A friend of mine, Anthony Washington, just died. He had cancer and had gone through a lot before I joined him in the cancer fight. His cancer was all throughout his body and he dealt with a lot of the indignities of cancer with a smile. He TAUGHT while wearing a "chemo bag," endured multiple surgeries, and the loss of bowel control. He really helped me to stay positive. I haven't seen him in a while since I no longer teach at Central. I am beyond sad to hear that he is gone. I found out via e-mail today during class and had to leave my students with another teacher to try and get my act together. I guess I thought he was keeping it at bay. Somehow.

1 comment:

Mary Roy said...

So incredibly sorry Selena...Sounds like he touched a lot of lives. xo