Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Steve

My brother, Steve, was just diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ! Yes. Breast Cancer. He is justifiably freaked. It sounds as though he is quite fortunate in that it has not spread beyond that site - thus the "in situ." He just had a biopsy that removed the cancer with clear margins, so now he has to find out where to go next. He has seen a Radiation Oncolologist and has asked me for copies of my genetic testing. Interestingly enough, the genetic testing indicated I was not positive for the supposed "breast cancer gene", so he won't be either.

School is still CRAZY and my schedule has not been reduced. I am becoming more "squeaky wheel" about it. We aren't even at Thanksgiving and I have used all my sick and personal days! I also have gained back all the weight I lost. Although I love my job and my students it is making me sick and I can't have that.

Excellent quote: “If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn't want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job.”
–Donald D. Quinn, teacher

2 comments:

Mary Roy said...

Oh MAN!! He will be in my prayers, as are you, as always. (And them ain't just words).

Jerry and Mavis said...

Oh No . . . . . We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers.