Sunday, June 6, 2010

It is OFFICIALLY summer

Friday was the last day of my 2009-2010 contract and I locked my classroom up for summer. I had an appointment with the lymphedema therapist, Vickie, so I wasn't able to go to the staff get-together. I wish I had. I really LIKE the people I work with and would have enjoyed the opportunity to hang with them.

About the Lymphedema- yep, I have it. I already had lymphedema in my chest, but now I have some in my right hand and arm. It is NOT reversible, but may be controlled with therapy (massage- not the feel-good kind) and use of a compression garment. I will need a custom made lymphedema sleeve that I hope to get measured for this week and a glove which can be off-the-shelf. I just have to work all this into my busy summer schedule which is as follows:

Saturday (yesterday) 7:45 a.m. took Chris, Pat and Carolyn (his parents) to Moody Gardens convention center for Chris' medical school graduation. Then attended and hob nobbed at the Dean's reception at 12:30. Back to our house for a party/open house. We had more people in our house that we ever had before. It was odd because most of our belongings are not here now and we had lots of folding chairs. It felt like a different place. Guests included Lori, Paul, Ashley and Emily (Chris' sister and family; Pat and Carolyn (his parents); Will Godwin (a high school bud of Chris')and his family (Olga, Max and Clem); Michael and Donna (Chris' brother and wife); Patrick and Lauren (another brother and wife); Cynthia and Lee Onxley (across the street neighbors); and Sherri (neighbor.) We had Subway sandwiches, WAY too much sweet stuff, fruit and veggies. It would have been a wonderful day except that Chris has been "suffering some intestinal distress." Yes, that is a euphemism for "cannot be far from the toilet." Poor guy, he really wasn't able to enjoy himself. He was not the only one graduating who had some additional requirements to complete, either.

Tomorrow we move out of our house and into the dollhouse we rented for Mum while they paint and refinish our floors. About time! We also have to take Haas to stay with Michael and Donna (in N Houston) while this is getting done. I have to get measured for the new garment, get the car washed/detailed and pack. I have a training on Tuesday and also a lympedema appointment. Wednesday I have a mammogram and leave to go to a conference in Austin. I'll be there through Friday. I have more training next Monday and leave on the 15th to go help Mum move...

Over Memorial Day weekend I went to Ft. Worth to see my friends Judd and Louise. We had a marvelous time. Lou was celebrating her 60th birthday and it was wonderful to see them and celebrate. We figured out that we have known each other since the mid 1980's! I also got to visit with their kids, Nick and Jessie, who I haven't seen since they were small. Jessie is 29! Time. Also staying with Judd and Lou were some of their friends from Louisiana, Jimmy and Lorna, and I feel like I made a couple of new friends... I had a GREAT time.

This seems also to be a time for loss. Tom Enger, a guy I've known since I was 18, died leaving behind a lot of people who loved him. I can so easily picture him with his son Paul (a toddler at the time) hanging out in the green room at UTEP...

Oh yeah. Wednesday is the 2 year anniversary of my Breast Cancer diagnosis. I am celebrating by getting a mammogram!

2 comments:

Joel David said...

Thanks for remembering Tom.
Busy Summer indeed. Have a great one.
J-)

Cheers, Asshole said...

Good luck. There are worse things than having more time to live.