Monday, March 9, 2009

Coming along

I worked all week last week! I came home right after and crashed, but I worked the whole week. This week has just started so I won't make any predictions... I already had to miss half of today.

I've had a little bit of complication with my mastectomy surgical site. I keep producing fluid, which I have had removed twice already. Today they "aspirated" 208 cc's of fluid from me and Dr. Silva decided to wrap me (ace bandages) to put pressure on the site to help the body absorb these fluids. I see her again on Friday to check on progress. I don't want to gross anybody out but it sure is interesting to watch your breast begin to grow back! That's what it looks like.

We are still treating the wound in my abdomen and Chris cleans it and packs it daily. WOW is it painful. Not all the time, but when Chris has to poke stuff into it, yes. Dr. Arristea said that we can stop doing this on Friday.

This Wednesday I meet with Dr. Hatch (radiation oncology) to do "simulation" to get ready for my Radiation treatment. I am not sure what that involves yet, so I'll update you later.

Also, big news for this week: Layoffs, or RIF (reduction in force). I should find out on Friday if I have a job for next year. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the process, so I can't predict anything. I certainly could work off the island in another school district, but I don't want to. I have been building my department and it has gotten to the point where kids can't get into my classes 'cause there aren't enough slots - a big change from when I started at Central.

Next week is spring break, and if my fluid problem resolves, the beginning of my radiation therapy. Whoo hoo, we are getting closer to the end...

No comments: