Sunday, August 3, 2008

Little notes...

Chris got his hair buzzed really short in solidarity - nice sentiment. Now my Mum keeps asking me to cut her hair! I've already cut it all over twice and she still thinks parts are too long.

The breast cancer books tell you that a great secret is: to suck on Popsicles while having chemo to reduce the chance of mouth sores. We live on a tropical island. Even though I bought the kind that are sealed in plastic and wrapped them in a bunch in a cooler with some ice, by the time it came to suck, they were bags of liquid.

Self tanner is a great invention. I have now got a little more color on my scalp and look less like a new arrival at a concentration camp.

Saw a student of mine in the Walgreen's the other day and she just gaped at me - speechless. And let me tell you, she has probably never been speechless in her life!

I've had a weird thing lately where I wake up between 4 and 6 and I'm restless (heard that before?) so I'll get up go into the living room and proceed to start the day. At some point I fall asleep in my comfy chair until someone else comes in the room at about 10. I've watched/slept through a lot of morning news shows lately. New daily ritual.

Watched Nancy Drew (the newish movie) the other night. It was rather poorly written but cute just the same. I seem to have concentration problems these days, so reading or any kind of deep heavily plot driven film doesn't work. I'm back to being "fluffy" (Chris used to call me that) I think before it referred to my hair...

I hate being a sick person. I know I have to get over the guilt of asking someone to get me a glass of ice water- I just don't like feeling helpless. I am grateful that I have people who love me here to take care of me - and try to remember that it isn't for long.

Been trying to give up coffee and coke. I figure that I'm restless enough with out the caffeine. I get 1 cup a day and have been verrrry stingy with the coke. The flip side of the coin is that I am supposed to be super hydrating myself and I still don't like Gatorade. Yes, I drink water, but I'm supposed to drink a bottle of Gatorade a day - bleaccckhh. It seems a little better with ginger ale in it but all this sugar is nauseating. A little bit of coke ( from the can) has a nice tart bite! Lemonade is where I'm going now.

Healthwise: Some good hours some bad. It sucks to be me right now. If I balance the drugs out correctly I am doing all right. Since I don't like to feel stoned all the time I have had a few more bouts with nausea - Hey, pick your poison. I don't like the fact that I can't even walk down the hall of my house without hitting at least one wall - drugs! Or from the car to the doctors office and back without needing a 3 hour nap afterwards - chemo fatigue. I'm in the midst of what I'm told is the worst of it. I'll just keep pushing through. The light is there - if I squint I can see it.

2 comments:

Joel David said...

Maybe a thermos bottle could keep the pops frozen. Maybe in conjunction with the cooler? I'm just throwing stuff out there.
Have you tried the Vitamin Waters? I like them a lot and you know I can't stand sweet or sticky stuff.
Love you,
Joel

Lopi said...

Selena,

If you can write coherently "through the worst of it" you can make it through anything. You are amazing to share your journey with all of us. Plus, once you are through the tunnel, you will have a best-selling novel.

I like the Propel fitness waters. They don't have that Gatorade dryness thing.