Sunday, June 21, 2009

Developing story

Went to the Pulmanologist to complete a test on Wednesday and decided to stop in and have them take a look at my seroma, which was filling again since having been unbound for 5 days. My doctor Dr. Silva is on vacation so I was stuck with some residents who didn't want to do anything. Finally, after I'd been in the office for almost 2 hours they called in another faculty doctor who drained me and had me wrapped...

On my way out of the garage elevator I ran into my principal, Mrs. Hebert who was having an ultrasound done on her breast - she had found a lump. Please send some prayers and karma her way. She will know more on Wednesday, I think. It doesn't sound good.

I also found out, because her son, Patrick Strong , friended me on Facebook, that Nell Strong died of breast cancer in 2006. This hit me hard, even though I haven't seen or had contact with Nell for years. She was the one who got me into teaching. When I was still at UTEP she got me a job running the after school program at El Paso Country Day School. Her son and daughter were in lots of shows at the Union Dinner Theatre, where Nell helped paint sets. When I became a full-time teacher Patrick was in my first class. Wow. I can't tell you how sad this news made me. For those who know him, Patrick is married with a very young son and living in Hollywood. He does licencing for films.

5 comments:

Joel David said...

Oh Sel!
So sorry to hear about Nell. Please give my best to Patrick. Very sad news.

Mary Roy said...

When you mentioned Nell's kids I remembered them! I adored those kids! Hard to believe Patrick is grown. What was the girl's name? How absolutely tragic about Nell. I loved them all.

Senor Fuerte said...

Thank you all for the kind words. Selena, I had no idea what an important person my mom was in your life, and while I'm very sorry that the news of her passing hit you so hard, I'm equally joyous to be reminded of the quiet way she made a difference in so many lives. It was a long time ago, but I remember the pride Nell felt in helping you start your career. I'm going to share your blog with my dad, as I know he would be really moved by it.

This is a bit of a homecoming for me, finding all of you here. I often reflect on my years at the Dinner Theatre, and wince at the image I hold of myself as that supremely obnoxious kid! You were all so important to me, so influential...I learned to be a grown-up from you. I remember getting my first real acting lesson from you, Selena, during "Working" (you said, "You're probably going to hate me when this is over." You were wrong.)

Joel: are you Joel Markwell? Mary Roy: are you Mary Altenberg?

By the way, my sister Amanda is also married, and lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan where she's operations director at a performing arts venue. She can be found at: naivehelga.blogspot.com, and of course, we're both on Facebook. I'd love to hear from you all.

All the best,

Patrick Strong

amanda said...

Can I just say...
HOLY SHIT!
I love the Internet. I will be looking for all of you on Facebook and many other fine channels of communication.

Selena, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis - this summer, I'm walking in the Breast Cancer 3-Day, a 60-mile walk with all fundraising proceeds going to breast cancer research, and I will definitely be walking in you honor. Fight the good fight, lady!

I echo Pat's sentiments toward your words about my mom. And, of course, his words about all the fine Dinner Theatre folks (he's always been the more eloquent sibling). My time at that theater shaped my life in more ways than you'll ever know.

- Amanda

Jerry and Mavis said...

Hi Selena

Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary. I know you will have many more.

We are all ok here. I am glad the 50th anniversary is over. We had a great day.

Good luck on your new school year. It will be starting before you know it.

Bob is in Ca working contract job.
He enjoyed visiting with Becka and her family.